Distributor cap has brass dust inside

Tintop

Hi all took the cap off and notice lots of brass dust on inside of cap but also on distributor itself, 2 of the contacts inside the cap were more worn that the others , I took the cap off and and not sure if one of the clamps was on properly or if even the rotor cap was on properly as I was only taking ir off to check the points gap so wasnt paying attention , the only reason I am thinking they weren't on right is the part the rotor cap goes on has no noticeable play in it , it does move up and down a bit just the part the rotor cap sits on but I think it should do that ? So yeah everything seems tight in the right places, any suggestions really appreciated. Also could this have been the cause of the hot starting problems? Do I need to take the distributer out to feel if any play in it. Any thoughts on how to get the brass dust out and once cleaned up and everything in it's right place would it be ok to drive as it is

Attachments

• 20220515_140547.jpg
    20220515_140547.jpg
    974.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220515_140423.jpg
    20220515_140423.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220515_140637.jpg
    20220515_140637.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
That could well be your problem. It does look like the cap has been mis-aligned and the rotor arm has been knocking chunks out of the cap, I would replace both after cleaning the dizzy up and hopefully your starting woes will disappear.

jimberlake

Agreed - also buy quality parts. I find some of the cheap dizzys don’t last long and don’t quite sit tight

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
Have a word with the Distributer Doctor. He's a bit more expensive but you can guarantee quality parts - get a new condenser and points from him while you're at it to keep as spares.

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
It would be better if you could take the dizzy out to clean so the swarf and grit isn't washed down into the bearings. Carb or brake and clutch cleaner would be ideal to give it a swill out, put a couple of drops of oil into the spindle under the rotor arm after you've finished cleaning. If you do take the dizzy out don't undo the clamp so it all goes back in the same place and take note of where the rotor arm is pointing so the shaft can locate easily on reassembly.

S0updragon

The lump of metal the distributor is clamped into. Between that and engine block there was a gasket that I replaced as it tore.

Tintop

It would be better if you could take the dizzy out to clean so the swarf and grit isn't washed down into the bearings. Carb or brake and clutch cleaner would be ideal to give it a swill out, put a couple of drops of oil into the spindle under the rotor arm after you've finished cleaning. If you do take the dizzy out don't undo the clamp so it all goes back in the same place and take note of where the rotor arm is pointing so the shaft can locate easily on reassembly.
Thanks again lads, so I can re.ove the distributer without taking the clamp off . Is there just a couple of bolts holding it on. Should it just lift straight out . Do I need to have rotor arm at TDcentre before removing distributor? Also what oil do i use to put a couple of drops under rotor arm ? , also what distributor would fit the 1500 petrol engine if I need to change it, the wierd thing is that apart from the hot start issues I had the van ran very well . Thanks again for the help

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
Yes just undo the two bolts, and the wire from the coil, and it will pull out. No need to set it to TDC just make a note of where the rotor arm is pointing and put it back in the same way but make sure you don't turn the engine over while the dizzy is out. You will need a Lucas 25D or 45D either will be fine.
A few drops of engine oil under the rotor arm is enough.

Tintop

Also some of the distributor I have been looking at say negative earth , the van I have is positive earth , would it matter if I got a distributor that says negative earth.

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
Not Martin but this guy

I was thinking of getting a dizzy from him but at around £350 I think I'll just settle for his points, rotor arm and condenser.
It shouldn't matter it its positive or negative earth with a points dizzy but if you're going for electronic ignition it will.

Tintop

Not Martin but this guy

I was thinking of getting a dizzy from him but at around £350 I think I'll just settle for his points, rotor arm and condenser.
It shouldn't matter it its positive or negative earth with a points dizzy but if you're going for electronic ignition it will. Wow 350 sterling , I will try and get one in Ireland for now . , but if not I will just have to bite the bullet thanks again for ur help

Tintop

Had a look on another site and they are about 40strling , and they are set up to run on modern fuel . Not sure if I am allowed name the site ,