Disc brakes for Rosie

martin maltas

Staff member
After loosing the brakes the last time we took Rosie to Wales, I said I would replace them with discs before we took her again. It's taken nearly 2 years to get round to it, but they're on.

SAM_1359_zps026a091c.jpg

SAM_1358_zpsbe22a9b6.jpg

Humber Super Snipe setup. Does bolt straight on, but there are clearence issues with the wheels. Had to use a 5mm spacer to miss the caliper, plus a slight mod to the back of the wheels.
Pedal spongy at the moment and only pulls 400kg on the brake tester. The larger 10" front drums normally pull 6-650kg. There already was a servo, but not sure if it's working ok, as it's been there since before I bought her. I'm going to replace it with a new one, just in case.

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent stuff[^], would the Humber wheels have fitted without modification?

bth_IMAG0017.jpg

Summer's Coming

thowman

I have had no involvement in the run for this Wales trip, so maybe the disks won't be required this time round! Mind you, that run the first year was exciting. I hope Baz has the canal water stop planned again?

nickclubman

Everyone searches ebay for super Snipe brake parts to find one rusty caliper on there! Lol. Any other options open to us from the rootes range? Alpine? My futile searches did throw up the factoid that the snipe and triumph 2500 share the same pads.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b25/katiebf/IMG-20130310-WA0000_zpsc08d35f3.jpg

commerjules

Hi Martin
I want to copy (it is the sincerest form of flattery after all). I can acquire Humber calipers & discs OK, and I can machine some spacers; what else is needed?

Cheers
Jules

RatSport www.ratsport.co.uk

martin maltas

Staff member
Larger master cyl and servo seemed to have cured the spongy pedal. 1st Commer I've had that nose dives when you press the brake hard :I

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
What is the new master cylinder off?
Make sure the crockery is strapped down;)

bth_IMAG0017.jpg

Summer's Coming

martin maltas

Staff member
Don't know what the original application was, I've gone for one the same bore as the Humber with built in reservoir, like the PA.

martin maltas

Staff member
Rosie just passed the mot, he was impressed with the disc brakes :)
Just hoping the new rear springs arrive in time to do them before Pandy.

Enigma

Congrats Martin...if Rosie was a bike I'd say be careful of going over the handle bars if you brake hard:D

th_Tigger002.jpg
''COMMER'EnSayThat''

admin

Administrator
Staff member
quote:
Originally posted by martin maltas
only pulls 400kg on the brake tester. The larger 10" front drums normally pull 6-650kg.

Did you get an improvement with the servo and new cylinder - any better than the big drums in the end?