Dating your vehicle

Debs

Admin. Please can you put a sticky for this topic. Loads of people keep asking about how to date their vehicles. I have the name, address and telephone number of the person to contact with regards to dating your commer. He charges about £30.00 for this service but he is very quick, very accurate and accepted by the DVLA as a reputable identifier.[^][^][^] If anybody wants to know then they would only have to look at the sticky and it would be there!!!!:D:D:D

"Debs&Skye"

Debs

Details to obtain cert of date of manufacture. Here goes...:)

His name is Mike Worthington-Williams. He is Chairman of The Society of Automotive Historians in Britain. Chairmans office: The Old Schoolhouse, Cenarth, Newcastle Emlyn, Carmarthenshire SA38 9JL Tel 01239 711486
Fax 01239 711367 E-mail: worthycomments@btconnect.com

The Society is on the DVLA's approved list of clubs considered competent to adjudicate on vehicle dating matters for registration pusposes.[^][^][^]

Now get dating!!!:D:D:D:D

"Debs&Skye"

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
It was really meant for vehicles registered in 1973 - it is possible they where actually built in '72 so qualify for free road tax:)

th_IMAG0033.jpg

How refreshing

simon5666

oh i see , i guess if the vehicle was on the forecourt for sometime it could be a few years older than it was .

simon5666

registrations do my head in ..... ive been trying to work out how old a mates honda 50 motorbike is but its got a 3 number 3 letter number plate. I think that must mean its before 1963 ? as it ends in a y .

simon5666

just as my commer 982 fgk .. according to the logbook first registered in march 16th 1963 . It must have missed the old 'A' reg by a few months ???

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
The letters denotes where the vehicle was registered, the number is.......well a number. There is a thread on here somewhere that lists all the codes for the different areas.

th_IMAG0033.jpg

How refreshing

poppyvanfan

he sent me an email today stating due to new legislation and bad health he is no longer providing this service ? ive found the first one of the line in jan 74 was chassis no 178962 ??? dunno where i found it tho ,, mine is registered in 01/04/74 and chassis no is 176498 making this before that number above ... looks like im tax free but what next how do i get it now mw is not available ? ant help is greatly appreciated

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
That's a shame, hope he gets better.
All I can think of is to contact the Rootes Archive, they may be able to help. Try Googleing them.

41fa30c8-22ce-43e8-bd12-188475a80292.jpg

Member of the Non-Facebook Club

commerchris

Staff member
Perhaps some one like mr M could take over from mr W?

Commer Dandy by Dandy Caravans now Riva Dandy
The Colonel Mustard six speed
9858609586_be59f5d209_t.jpg

Member of the 6 speed club.

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
If he's willing to part with the Line Book:I

commerchris

Staff member
Just been reading old bike mart "unearthed"
March 2014 lots of bikes recieved dating letters
from him.hope he gets well soon.

Commer Dandy by Dandy Caravans now Riva Dandy
The Colonel Mustard six speed
9858609586_be59f5d209_t.jpg

Member of the 6 speed club.

poppyvanfan

the new details for finding out your tax free are an email to the routes archive ! from a robert allan its 20 quid and very quick , robbert.allan@stfc.ac.uk very nice gut just told me im tax free with a manufact date at nov 73 great news eh ....good luck folks hope this helps

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
That can't be right - you've got more gears than that:)
And it sure aint red;)