Commer PB pick up truck

Hello, I'm new on the forum, having just acquired a certain pick up. Midlands to Norfolk completed with no problem (other than deafness!)
I'd just like to say what a pleasure it was to meet the previous owner, who is a real genuine chap. He said it was solid, and despite hardly having travelled at all in the last 8 years, he was confident it was good for 160 odd miles, and it was.
This is my first attempt at buying an old truck, and what a pleasure the deal and experience were.
And the old girl has effectively come home, being first registered in Norwich! Who knows, I might actually have seen her about here when she was new (pity I can't remember!)

Hi Roatavator and welcome to the Madhouse:D
You know those nuisance phone calls you get asking if you've suffered hearing loss during you working life, you may be able to claim off Steve now;)
It looks like a cracking truck and a very rare one at that. will it be a working pick-up or a toy to enjoy.
Steve's collection is very impressive isn't it:cool:

Hi All
I have wanted a truck of some sort for a fair while now. I thought I was going to get a particular Morris FG petrol which my father had in the 70's, it originally being bought new by his then boss in 1965. But that wasn't to be, and my dealings with the current owner left me wondering if there is anyone left out there who is honest and straightforward. Looking on a certain internet auction site, I found this Commer, a marque which I hadn't thought of before. After asking my son Phil what he thought, turned out he'd always loved them, so it seemed to be fate and we went for it. Am I glad we did. Rich/Steve have restored my faith in human nature, what a pleasure to deal with someone who's as straight and honest as I like to think we are. And we were blown away by the collection!
Anyway, proposed uses.
1. Family toy. Thank goodness for classic insurance policies that let you have 4 named drivers at no extra cost!
2. I have a collection of old horticultural machinery which I want to take to shows and working events, and what better way to get them there? Anyone interested can have a look at them working on you tube (Roatavator channel).
3. Heirloom (Phil has already staked his claim when I'm gone!)

So, hopefully she'll get a fair deal of use. As to what to do in terms of presentation, our current thinking is to leave her exactly as she is, with the patina of age. Though to be honest I might wash off the copious coatings of grease/oil applied everywhere; whilst they have no doubt preserved her, its a bit of a bind having to have a full wash every time you get near her! Polished up, she'll still be protected and be nicer to be around. And the big bonus is, she fits inside a standard garage!

I know Commerfest is on, but to be honest one trip over 100 miles in a year might well be all my ears can stand!

That's what I was hoping you'd say something like that:)
Ear defenders or TURN THE RADIO UP;)

Not currently possible, has a radio but no speaker. I assume one of the previous owners gave up trying to listen to the radio. Anyway, what better music than a Perkins?

really pleased your happy with it
it deserves to be out and about as it really is rather special
glad you enjoyed the collection,it was added to yesterday with an early 2.8injection capri which believe or not is for the wife!!!

Hi Steve, over the moon, I'm so pleased with it!
Discovered you have to be patient when out in it with people wanting to tell you their Commer stories!
Have decided to wash off grease etc and polish it, started this morning, I'll post a pic or two when I've finished, but don't hold your breath, its soaking up polish like its going out of fashion.
I'll tell Phil about your new addition, he'll be green with envy.

OK, this is likely to be the firstof many questions.
My cold start procedure seems to be a bit hit and miss. How long to hold the cold start button down for before starting, and do you hold the button down while cranking over?

Ideally the cold start is held down for 15 secs before cranking on full throttle, with cold start operating. If no start, then another 15s and full throttle cranking plus cold start. If no start, full throttle cranking without cold start.

I did look at the sales photos, and something about it didn't look like an original diesel installation to me. Does your chassis no. start with PBR? Could you put up a couple of photos of the diesel pipework both sides of the engine from above so I can have a look? There is supposed to be a reservoir for the cold start device just in front of the brake fluid reservoir, which gravity feeds to the cold start device, which won't work without a diesel feed. I'm not sure that yours has this arrangement, but could be wrong.

When the cold start device is working properly it is very effective.

Have a look at this thread which may help you. http://forum.commervanfan.co.uk/index.php?threads/diesel-cold-weather-starting-problems.7485/

Hi Colin
Had a look at the thread, followed advice, started after about 15 secs cranking, so result, thanks!
Chassis number is PBCM.....
I've attached pic of engine.

PeterIMG_4527.JPG

Back