Check Your Spare Wheel Carrier

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
quote:
Originally posted by Hazel

A cautionary tale from two other families who both 'drove over their spare wheels' and only just survived the experience- Both wheels had dropped from the wheel carrier under the body with near disasterous results- Worth everyone checking for rust!!

Mike (Hazels Dad) Clarabel and Co.

I was under Bonnie the other day and was squirming around trying to get a good position to weld, I grabbed hold of the spare wheel carriage bracket to pull me along - and it came off in my hand[:0] The outrigger it's attached to is fine but the pop rivets holding the bracket to it had corroded through[xx(] Glad I found it now.
The one on Bonnie only had sides on it that reached about half and inch up the box section so there was only room for a few fixings, I was just surprised it was only fitted with half a dozen pop rivets - and it looked original I've now welded extra pieces on to enable me to make it a lot more secure.

bth_IMAG0017.jpg

Summer's Coming

Hazel

This problem was highlighted by two families at the NEC who were driving in the 1970's -Both had accidents and only just avoided serious consequences when they drove over their own spare wheels.

PLEASE CHECK THE SECURITY AND FIXING OF YOUR SPARE WHEEL CARRIER!- ITS EASY TO FORGET THIS - ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVEN'T HAD A PUNCTURE FOR YEARS! FOLLOW PANKY'S EXAMPLE AND SAVE A POSSIBLE PROBLEM IN THE FUTURE- Mike/Clarabel and Co