'66 Commer Walk Thru Project

CommerWalkThru

Hi.
Thanks for the info about the glass date ect. Will have to investigate that.
As for the indicators position I have noticed that in the past looking at pictures of Walk Thru's but just assumed it was just the way they were mounted and didn't realize it could be date related...mmm got me thinking now...
The V5 I was given with the van states it was Diesel and clearly it ain't so definitely going to have to do some investigation.
Have not had a chance to get up the yard the last few weeks but am hoping to before the weekend...im sure the guy has finished it and forgot to call me...lol

Talbot

Do the Walk Thru's have a chassis number stamped anywhere as mine has no identity / chassis plate any longer ?

commer walk thru

Hi.
Thanks for the info about the glass date ect. Will have to investigate that.
As for the indicators position I have noticed that in the past looking at pictures of Walk Thru's but just assumed it was just the way they were mounted and didn't realize it could be date related...mmm got me thinking now...
The V5 I was given with the van states it was Diesel and clearly it ain't so definitely going to have to do some investigation.
Have not had a chance to get up the yard the last few weeks but am hoping to before the weekend...im sure the guy has finished it and forgot to call me...lol
I reckon it might have had it's plates switched then... I think the forward placed indicators came in with the M reg, or around there (from looking at pictures). Maybe someone made it a 60s van when they froze the free tax on 1972?

commer walk thru

Do the Walk Thru's have a chassis number stamped anywhere as mine has no identity / chassis plate any longer ?
I think it was just the plates, which were just rivetted to the body work (so easily taken off!). The link I found to the windows was interesting - didn't realise you could use this to get a date with older vehicles...

Panky

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all, thanks for having me on your forum.

We run a full time garage repair workshop in South Wales and we never normally entertain work like this, but we had an intriguing email recently from an up and coming company in our area that owns a 1966 Commer Walk Thru. It's a real head turner, so they plan to use it to travel all over the UK to festivals/shows etc to sell their wares. The only thing is, is that it's not built for today's spoilt motorist so the owner wants to mod it up to make it more encouraging to drive because its currently a ballache to travel just a couple of miles.

This 3.0 litre straight six won't go quicker than 40 mph (it takes forever to get to 40 mph too), the handling is dreadful, the drum brakes are lethal - you need to plan your braking via telepathy, he'd like power steering, central locking and all that jazz but the easy, cosmetic stuff is for later. Firstly, I want to get the van moving quicker (and obviously, safer)

Why am I getting involved?
1) I've never really done this sort of work before in my career, but it's sparked an interest inside me
&
2) We've got until early Spring 2017 to get it sorted

So why am I posting it on here?
1) Being the tender age of 41, I was hoping I could tap in to the knowledge of some of the more 'mature' members of the forum
icon_wink.gif
for any advice during this challenge, whether it be technical or even parts identifying/sourcing.
2) I'll keep the thread updated as a blog type affair that might provide you with some light reading as the weeks/months go by - It may even cheer you up if your having a bad day knowing there's always a poor bugger having a worse day than you
icon_lol.gif

So here's the beast in question, I'll keep this updated as I figure out my next steps. Feel free to leave your comments (and insults) below...

View attachment 1796 View attachment 1797 View attachment 1798

1572258092180.png

Only recently found out that this was the Adventurer that Beachboy saved and spend a lot of time and money to get back on the road. Apparently the unique interior has been removed and scrapped (hopefully I'm wrong) I truly hope this will be returned to what it once was as it is the last of it's kind, one of two that were made by the Wilsons company - this one, if I remember correctly, was the prototype.

IMAG0006.JPG

IMAG0005.JPG

Beachboy

That is indeed my old van
I was beyond gutted to see what was done to it and had the buyer told me his plans, rather than the lies he did tell me, he wouldn't have owned it but it was his to do what he wanted with and he only wanted it as a mobile billboard and shop
I`m not sure why it was running so badly when it arrived in South Wales as it had been running really well when I sold it after having given me many a nightmare and headache getting it to run at all, the exhaust manifold wasn't cracked when it left here either.
I was told that the original interior had been put into storage but I have no idea if that is true.
Hopefully one day it might be put back to its original condition.

Paul van Munster

The Kahn30 was a 1.5 ton model, Total 3.5 tons. This one had single wheel, the Ka40 an 60 were 2 and 2.5 tons models twin wheel rear axle. Ka 30 4 cyl petrol 2.2 ltrs, ka 40 6 cyl 3.0 Ltr petrol, later models early 70ties were using perkins 4.203 and 4.236 diesel. All different rear axle ratio’s. Many parts from dodge50 and Renault/doge50 will fit the walk thru

Talbot

Vehicle id info
Thanks Paul my problem is I have no chassis plate rivited to the dash and it appears that is the only place it was .
My van is dual wheel and standard bonnet . Probably 4cyl petrol since it has a 6:1 diff .
Paper work gives chassis No 020020 which doesn't match anything but what of course the MOT inspectors want to see .

Paul van Munster

This info helped me to determine actual year of construction. This was accepted by the Dutch authorities

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    883 KB · Views: 5

Paul van Munster

4 cyl engine and 6.0 to 1 diff and 3500 kilo will make it very slow. The bonnet is one of a 6 cyl, like on mine. I have swapped the 4 cyl petrol with perkins 4.236 diesel and fitted the 6 cyl bonnet

Attachments

• 355CDF9A-BA0B-4549-9F90-B479C10B5326.png
    355CDF9A-BA0B-4549-9F90-B479C10B5326.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 9349B577-4A90-4E42-8030-392647DD1531.png
    9349B577-4A90-4E42-8030-392647DD1531.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 4