No Blow :-(

Hi All

My heater is blowing cold, is there a recommended way to bleed the heater matrix? as the pipes both feed in from the underside it would seem impossible to remove all the air but I am open to suggestions?

Brrrrrr !

Mike

Hi. Sure I read post back along about this. I typed ‘heater matrix’ in search(on here). I don’t know how to tag other posts but is some useful reading until a ‘mechanic’ comes along

What I have done in the past is to remove the return line from the heater and elevate it as high as you can then pour water down the hose until it brims then re-attach the hose and all should be good. Have you had the heater disconnected or removed the matrix?

Hi All

My heater is blowing cold, is there a recommended way to bleed the heater matrix? as the pipes both feed in from the underside it would seem impossible to remove all the air but I am open to suggestions?

Brrrrrr !

Mike

Aha! I think I can help here!

Although the pipes go in from the bottom, the return pipe goes right up to the far corner of the heater matrix internally, so that pipe has to be the higher pipe. On mine the return (upper) pipe had three ridges and the flow (lower) had two ridges. Or you can work out which is the longer pipe using a hooked piece of wire pushed up inside. The matrix is reversible within the heater casing, so yours may be fitted the wrong way up at present.

There's a bit about this on my Jennings Restoration thread here https://forum.commervanfan.co.uk/threads/jennings-restoration.7437/page-5

Oh, and if it's the wrong way up it will be half full of muck so will need a good long flush out. Connect up a hose and blast it through till it runs clean. Shake and repeat, shake and repeat........................................

Guys you are angels! My heater blows hot now, which will please a certain person (and a small dog) when we escape to Cornwall over easter. (Snow on long range forecast)20180322_205146.jpg20180322_205110.jpg
I got my pipes mixed up when plumbing in an extra heater (in the living area) and an engine pre-heater in the engine compartment. (See pic)
Thanks again

Mike

Does the water pump carry the water that far ok? I was thinking about supplementing the radiator with a sealed motorbike radiator up front where the fresh air vent thingy is but wasn't sure if the water pump could spit the water that far without any dramas. I suppose it's no real difference to any other heater matrix but if the hoses go down and then back up it's probably an extra three meters of hoses (including both ways) that the pump has to push.

Does the water pump carry the water that far ok? I was thinking about supplementing the radiator with a sealed motorbike radiator up front where the fresh air vent thingy is but wasn't sure if the water pump could spit the water that far without any dramas. I suppose it's no real difference to any other heater matrix but if the hoses go down and then back up it's probably an extra three meters of hoses (including both ways) that the pump has to push.
Yes the pump seems to cope fine pushing water to the living area, my extra heater is about halfway along the load bed under a seat, I've kept it really low, sitting directly on the floor and the pipes heat up really quickly.

Thanks buddy.

I have a webasto diesel heater that heats my cabin and I'm surprised how far that pushes water including through a heat exchanger so I guess a car water pump should be even better.

Yes the pump seems to cope fine pushing water to the living area, my extra heater is about halfway along the load bed under a seat, I've kept it really low, sitting directly on the floor and the pipes heat up really quickly.
Thinking of something similar, what did you use the element and box from?

Hi Jimberlake,
The element and fan i used is from a fork lift cab heater actually but something could be made up from most old classic cars, imp/mini etc

Back