1725 oil

Eric Van Commer

Hi everyone, I've been trawling the internet lately, genning up on all things 1725, found two interesting threads, are all Commervanfans aware of these potential hazards, does anyone have any comments.

Hi Eric. I've done a search on the Rapier site and found a couple of threads about the different dipstick lengths between the various engine types, is this what you were trying to guide us to? I fitted a rapier engine to one of my vans and this did concern me at the time as the engine is now sitting vertical as opposed to slanted over as originally designed for the Rapier, this means that the amount of oil used to reach the full mark will be different. It will actually take a bit more oil to reach the mark on the Rapier engine as the dipstick is on the drivers side, but if you have an iron head Hunter engine fitted to your van the opposite will be true as the dipstick is on the passenger side. The best way to be sure is to fill the sump with the recommended amount of oil and mark the dipstick according to the correct amount of oil - this will eliminate any error caused by engine swaps or fitting the wrong dipstick.
Thanks for bringing this up, a good reminder to us all.

http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/archive/index.php?t-21369.html http://www.sunbeamrapier.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=970
Hello again, if you scan these threads to highlight them and right click then "go to" they should open up ( hopefully, I'm a bit new to this )

The dipstick one is rather intriguing, if you have the correct amount of oil in a canted over engine and then turn it vertical, the level will be lower down the dipstick ( dipstick on the side it's canted over to ) proved out with half full cup of coffee and spoon, so up to level will be too much oil, and may lead to oil leaks. On the other hand, if the dipstick is on the other side, too little oil and the oil pump pickup will struggle.:eek: Is there a vertical engine dipstick and a slant engine dipstick ? You may have the solution though Panky, fill with recommended amount of oil and mark your own. However the other link involving oil filter may have some bearing on the issue, does everybody just do it "normally" ?.
I wander if any of the original 1725 design team are still around:cool: might be fun to talk to them, although they'd be getting on a bit now I suppose.

They work:D
Odd one about not draining the oil when hot, I always thought it was the best time to do it as the oil is thinner so drains better. I guess the best thing to do is to take the plugs out and crank the engine over until the oil light goes out after an oil change.

Back